So, we worked and worked and worked for DAYS on cleaning and organizing this room. I thought that I would give you a run down of what we did - basically, I want to give you a mini tutorial on what I learned while organizing. (ya know - share with you what cost me a small forture - WELL WORTH IT THOUGH!)
This is my craft room. The big desk was given to me by my dad after he retired - I LOVE IT! It gives me several different work areas.
The space right in front of the window is where my sewing machine goes - when I took this picture it was in the trunk of my car so that I could go to my sewing class.
The space to the front of the desk is open for whatever - scrapbooking, painting, cutting or pinning fabric - you name it!
This is the "office" area - where the computer goes and faxes get sent and bills get paid etc...
This is my printer and my bookcase. The bookcase is full of all kinds of books - I'm a bookaholic. I LOVE books! Underneath of the printer is a basket full of "printer stuff". Misc. cords and extra ink cartridges.
LOVE THE BOOKS!
This is also another multi purpose work surface, but mainly this is the scrapbooking area. Those baskets are full of the most used scrapbooking tools and some pictures that need to find their way into a book!
I also use this space for cutting and pinning fabric and planning out projects etc.
BEHOLD - the craft closet! This is the uber-organized craft closet where all my supplies are kept. Sewing, scrapbooking, general crafts, glues, glitter, fabric, paint etc.... all in this AWESOME closet - all labeled and easy to find! Best of all - its easy to clean up because you KNOW where everything goes!
Look at those labels - how awesome is that!!
This is where the tiny stuff is stored - all seperated into tiny little containers inside these drawers.
Best way to store ribbon EVER!!! and organized by color - SWEEEEETTTT! (there is actually another row of ribbons behind these - I really like ribbon too!)
Thats all my fabrics up there - again, organized by color and some are in a "seasonal/holiday" bin.
All my scrapbooking embelishments organized by theme.
So if you want to do this to your room or closet or crafting space here are a couple things that I learned.
1. If you are like me you get a little overwhelmed looking at "the big picture". Pull one box at a time OUT of the area that you are working in and deal with just ONE thing at a time.
2. Only work for 3 to 4 hours a day - any more than that and you will get burned out and lose focus.
3. Sort, Sort, Sort - use large bins or boxes to sort your stuff into categories by craft as well as things to donate/sell and things that are trash.
4. Sort, Sort, Sort - I know - more sorting! Sort each of your categories by either color, theme or size depending on what category you are sorting.
5. Find things to use to organize your space. Desks/tables/shelves/storage totes etc.
6. LABEL EVERYTHING!
I hope that this helps you to organize the space that you have. I cannot tell you how this has cleared my mind and made my crafting easier. My favorite part is how easy cleaning up is - takes like 15 minutes! seriously!
What are you waiting for - GO SORT!
I'm sharing this post here: